Today I was doing the usual blog browsing when I should be a) doing laundry b) cleaning up all of my stamp supplies that have taken over the kitchen the last couple of weeks and c) getting ready to go to my brother in law's wedding next week. I came across K Werner's color challenge and these colors just cried out to be batiked so I decided I just had to join in this time. I love that blog!
I obviously am not using my time wisely today just judging by the collection of techniques applied to this card. Techniques applied here: Bleaching, Embossing, Batik, brayering and sponging. I think that's all.
First off I made my batik paper with clear ep, white mulberry paper, sponges and Brilliant Blue, Bashful Blue, Pumpkin Pie and VersaMark stamp pads.
Stamp images with VersaMark randomly around paper, stamping the larger images first. Make sure you memorize when you've stamped because it is hard to see where you went previously. You can always go back and stamp some more.
Pour clear (only clear) embossing powder over, remove excess and heat. The images appear clear when finished.
For the next step you will want to lightly moisten the mulberry paper with a wet cotton ball. This will allow your ink to spread better. Sponge colors onto paper with an up and down motion. Do not rub side to side, it will move the fibers around. Also make sure the ink gets around the images so they appear crisp.
Next you will iron out the embossing powder with the mulberry paper between two pieces of white computer paper. No print please. The computer paper will absorb the embossing powder. You will know it is done when the paper has no more embossed texture. The above image is how it looks when finished. *tip* if for some reason your mulberry paper gets stuck in between the computer paper just run the iron over one more time and immediately lift the top paper.
After the above process I like to mount the mulberry paper to a piece of white card stock for more contrast. Spray adhesive gives a light hold and doesn't soak through.
For the card base I wanted bashful blue but am sadly out so I used my handy brayer and made my own. Then I sponged some of the Brilliant Blue for cool watery look.
Another favorite thing to do is stamp with bleach. I just put some in a glass dish and paint it on lightly with a sponge brush. The picture to the right is me doubling up and making a father's day card too. Above after washing my stamps I just inked the edge with my SU markers and stamped again. also stamped the flower again w/ bleach.
Stamped in acrylic paint the get away w/ rough edges alpha.
Finally I needed one more touch so I inked the flower with versamark on whisper White and added a little touch of Pumpkin Pie around the edges before stamping. I embossed it and also the small flower in Pumpkin Pie (inked w/ Versamark + Pumpkin Pie again). No I'm not done yet. Lastly I sponged the Pumpkin Pie on the embossed image to color the inside stripe. Then I cut and layered the flowers.
Phew! But I like the final product.
Stamp Sets: Office Accoutrement, Headline Alpha and Rough Edges Alpha
Cardstock: Whisper Whit, Brilliant Blue
Ink: Bashful Blue, Brilliant Blue, Pumpkin Pie and VersaMark