Monday, March 4, 2013

Paper Girls Challenge #27: Snowflakes

When coming up with my project for the new Paper Girls challenge about Snowflakes I remembered some of the pages I made for my December Daily album I made. I never got around to blogging it and actually haven't quite finished it either. It's on my long "To-Do" list. Instead of  buying a kit I bought a mist-able canvas album by Prima. I really wanted to go through my stash of Christmas papers that I already had and use some of them up. I rarely scrap Christmas and this is why I wanted to do the December Daily. I think the main reason why I only have a handful of Christmas pages scrapped is because I end up with so many pictures that I get a little overwhelmed and also wonder how many Christmas pages I can scrap per year, etc. So I think this ended up being a great compromise.

Here's the outside of the album. It started as just a cream colored canvas outside. I pulled out some of my Dylusion's mists and made a mask with some transparency and a SU snowflake die that I had from the Holiday Mini catalog. I layered the misting so some areas were darker than others and spritzed with water to blend. I also took the top off the spray bottle after it was semi dry and dripped some full strength dye on to add one more layer of depth. I think I need to add some sort of label/ title to the front of my book but still don't quite know what I want to do.

Here is a page that I haven't added pictures to but had gone through and pre embellished for a jumping off point. I did the negative effect with the SU snowflake die and backed it with a small print from OA. On the other page I had cut some snowflakes on my cricut out of vellum and added them to the misted canvas page with glue dots.

This is one of my favorite pages that I did. I created a pocket at the bottom of this plastic insert with sticky strip tape and put some wood veneer stars and glass glitter for a shaker page. I made sure to allow enough room at the top for the print of my digital Christmas card that I designed to send out this year.

The page on the right I decided to stamp and color a page to add to the mixed media feel of this book.

This page is kind of fun with the mini 8 punched center pages I added. I was running out of room for all of the things we did this particular day. They also came in handy for extra journaling space.

This is the last page I wanted to show off. I busted out my sewing machine for this insert style page. I just wanted to make some pockets with Christmas/ Wintery themed embellishments. I used some pieces from a K&Co Christmas pack and also some pieces for my October Afternoon Holiday Style flower sack. The nice thing about the OA pieces are that they are printed on both sides so I didn't need to back them with something else since the pockets show on both sides.

Sorry about the marathon post. I just had a hard time narrowing down what I wanted to show off. Make sure you go check out the other great projects at the Paper Girls Challenge blog and post your projects by March 16th!


Judy said...

Great book! I have a question, which OA collection are you using? I don't think I have this one. haha!

Erica Bass said...

Judy I used embellishments from OA holiday Style. Some papers from Holiday Style and also some from Good Cheer. I also used some papers from misc. holiday papers in my stash.