Thursday, January 30, 2014

Cards that Move

Today I thought I would showcase a hybrid card that I printed right here at home. When I signed up to participate in the Cards With Moving Parts post at SSInk I was wracking my brains for something fun to make. After a while I was thinking I wanted to do a spinner card but the easiest way to do it and get the right sentiments was to use MDS (My Digital Studio Software). So it became a hybrid card. I really like the Greeting Card Kids stamp set but it's only available as a digital stamp brush set. No problem!  I arranged my layout like this.
I like that you can use similar techniques like paper piecing when you do a hybrid card. All I had to do is place a duplicate image over a digital version of a Designer Series Paper. The great part about this too is that if the print is too large it's easy to adjust the size to the proportion of the image you are working with. After saving as a JPG file, I opened the image in my Silhouette Studio Software so I could use the Digital Full Heart Punch for the little window on the card. After printing this out through the Silhouette on Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Paper, I set this up to cut the heart and the spinner's circle and the card front all at once in my Silhouette. The dress and printed heart I just cut by hand because let's face it, it would take longer to tell the Silhouette what to do than to fussy cut them myself. The only thing I would change about this design is I would make sure to center a small circle so I know exactly where to pierce a hole for the brad to go through. I used Stampin' Write markers to color in the hair and shade the dress and used a blender pen with Crisp Cataloupe for the skin color. I used stampin' dimensionals to mount the top of the card over the spinner attached to the coastal cabana base of the card with a mini brad.

Thanks for stopping by! Make sure you check out all of the other fab cards the ladies at SSInk made today.

Supplies: 
Program: My Digital Studio, Silhouette Studio
Digital Downloads: Greeting Card Kids (123961), Hearts Collection Punch (129337), Storytime Ensemble (127195) 
Stamp n' write Markers: Soft Sky, Real Red, Soft Suede, Crushed Curry, Crumb Cake, Sahara Sand, Basic Black
Ink Pad: Crisp Cantaloupe (131176)
Card Stock: Coastal Cabana (
Accessories: Blender Pens (102845), Mini brads (122941), Paper-Piercing tool (126189)

6 comments:

brrenwick said...

Such a cute card! I love the spinner idea :-) MDS is the best!

Misty said...

very nice E!

Melissa said...

This is such an adorable card! I am at a loss when it comes to cards that move, but this totally inspired me to get to my craftroom and create!

Pam Steckman said...

So super cute! I love that little girl!

Cynthia said...

So cute indeed! I haven't tried that technique either (add to list!) Great job!

Cynthia said...

So cute indeed! I haven't tried that technique either (add to list!) Great job!