Wednesday, March 19, 2014

SSI Water Color Wednesday

I just love watercoloring! I bought the Forest Friends set because my kids are pretty much obsessed with foxes and hedgehogs right now and these two are pretty darn cute.  I pulled out my inks and aquapainters because this is my favorite way to watercolor. I pulled colors from the Retro Fresh DSP since I knew I wanted to use elements from that paper as an accent.

To make this scene I had to think through which images were going to be foreground and background. I stamped the hedgehog first with Stazon ink and promptly stamped the same image onto a Post It note to create a mask. You may remember my post earlier to this card where I describe how to mask images. This is just slightly more complicated because I have some overlap in my images. Next I cut out the mask, placed it over the hedge hog and then stamped the fox where I wanted him to go. I stamped the fox on a Post it note and cut that out for a mask as well. After placing the mask over the fox, and keeping the hedgehog mask in place I stamped the tree image in different heights.

Now my images were all set and I was able to get to the fun part! Since I used watercolor paper I was able to use more water with less peeling of paper. I did a wash of the lighter tone and then added less diluted amounts of ink in the shadow areas. Don't feel the need to have every speck of paper covered in ink. A little white is desirable.

Hope you like this card! Check out the other watercolored creations at the SSInk blog for even more inspiration.  

Supplies:
Stamp Set: Forrest Friends (c:133851. w:133848) Chalk Talk (c: 130634, w:130631)
Ink: Baked Brown Sugar (131174), Gumball Green (126861), Tangerine Tango (126946), Coastal Cabana (131175), Sahara Sand (126976), Stazon Jet Black (101406)
Cardstock:Whisper White (100730), Coastal Cabana (131297), Soft Sky (131203)
DSP: Retro Fresh (132993)
Accessories: Aqua Painters (103954),. Chalk Talk Framelits (129983), Uniball Signo White gel pen (105021)

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I absolutely LOVE this card! It is so adorable and the colors are perfect. Great job!

brrenwick said...

This card is adorable! You did a fabulous job with the colors!